Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sunday in NYC

On Sunday my aunt took me on an adventure. One of the things that would have been on my bucket list if I had one was to ride a train..... so we took the train into NYC. Well actually it was two trains as we had to transfer in Stamford. It was interesting and  fun but I sure wouldn't want to do it on a daily bases as my aunt had to do when she was working. Taking my walker with us made it a bit tricky but we got it done. We arrived in NYC at Grand Central Station. WOW is all I can say about that...it was huge and busy!. My aunt said if we got separated there we were to meet at the clock. Easy to find since it was about the only thing in the middle of the station.

We got out on the streets but all the little restaurants that she wanted to take me too were closed so we took a taxi to famous Hotel in the area whose name escapes me right now. but it was lovely too. and it had it's own clock in the middle of the lobby. We used the restrooms there and looked around a bit then back out on the streets we took another taxi to Rockfeller Center. We found a elevator to the lower level (after taking a few photos) and had Brunch at Rock Center Cafe where I had an Frozen Classic Margarita and a Open Faced Shrimp Omelet. It was great!

We walked a lot after that and my body protested but I had my walker with it's seat on it when It got to rough and I needed a break. We went from there to St. Patrick's but the whole building (inside and out) was shrouded in scaffolding and tarps. Apparently they are in the process of a two year project to clean the whole building.Very disappointing but at lest I can say I was in St. Pat's on Sunday.

We went, on foot, from Madison and 50th to 5th and 42nd streets. Was quite a hike for me but oh so interesting. All the different type buildings . Fancy smaller ones my aunt told me started out as residences to the tall glossy skyscrapers, all side by side. Way Cool. And PEOPLE the place was crawling with people.. My aunt said she thought it would have been a bit thinned out, since it was Sunday but it wasn't one bit.

We found a little shop for me to do my souvenir shopping for my friends. I got Mr. Adams a black t-shirt with different buildings of interest on it and a purple coffee mug for Jazzy with the names of various places on it.   I got 10 post cards and had a blast shopping for my friends. On the way out I went past a rack of hats and found one for me. 100% cotton purple ball cap with New York on it.. HAD to go back and pay for that. I LOVE it! Then we went down and saw the lion statues at the library. Then it was back to Grand Central Station and bar for drinks.

We got done and headed down to the main level and.my aunt went off to see what time our train would be and she waved me on and we went off as fast as my poor ole legs could carry us to catch the train. It was real crowded but a few nice people made room for me and my walker and Aunt Julie too. When we got to the spur line in Stanford again we had to change trains again but this time we had to go up an elevator and back down on the other side. But we made it just in time. That leg of the trip wasn't very crowded at all.

Back home again I finished up my laundry and started my packing.... It was a long day and we did a lot. It was interesting to me and a great adventure. But it's not something I want to do very often. My aunt is the best to have given me such a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment